Volunteer Teaching Program
Ghana has reopened to international arrivals. See the 'Additional Info.' section for procedures in place during the pandemic.
This wonderful project was created with the goal of helping to improve the education of children in Senya Beraku, Accra Region. Volunteers may choose if they want to work in the city or in a rural area. Whichever location and school the volunteer is placed in, they will assist in a range of subjects, including mathematics, science, geography, social sciences, history, business education, art and music, as well as English. The teaching takes place in nursery, primary and secondary schools where volunteers initially either shadow or teach under the supervision of a local teacher. Once acquainted with the school and the curriculum, volunteers in Ghana will be given the chance to teach independently. Volunteers’ level of involvement within the classroom can be tailored to suit their skills and interests. A willingness to share and an ability to be proactive is important and will make volunteers a valuable addition to any classroom. With a decent education, these children will have a greater chance of employment and a better life.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide an education to children in Ghana
- Improve the future prospects of the children in these areas
- Show compassion and provide assistance to vulnerable children
- Enable inter-cultural exchange which benefits both students and international volunteers alike.
How You Can Help
Volunteers play an integral role in achieving the goals of this project, greatly assisting students to learn and achieve a better education. This promises to be a hugely beneficial experience for any volunteer. By exposing these children to curriculum, as well as other ideas and ways to learn, volunteers are helping them to open their minds, have hope and seek a better life. It is important that volunteers are flexible as there are a number of other tasks they can help with. These might include helping children with their homework, arranging games and activities, cleaning the classroom and assisting teachers with administrative duties. It is not compulsory for volunteers on this program to have prior teaching experience or to have completed formal teacher training to volunteer in Ghana.
Volunteers spend their time assisting the local teacher with daily activities, and will spend time teaching and playing with the children. They will contribute in a number of ways and can expect to undertake the following tasks:
- Help the teacher with the planned classroom activities
- Assist with the delivery of a range of academic subjects
- Converse in and teach basic English to the children
- Play games and read to the children in English
- Teach children good hygiene and life skills
- Help the children complete projects
- Help with administrative duties
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over who wish to help create a brighter future for children through the power of education. This project best suits those with experience and/or qualifications in the field of childhood development and education, though volunteers who simply wish to explore an interest in this field are also welcomed as there are many ways you can assist in the classroom. Whist not mandatory, completing a TEFL course prior to joining this project would prove to be highly beneficial. Ideally, volunteers on this project will have at least a basic knowledge of the local language in order to communicate effectively with staff and students, though this is not a pre-requisite. Importantly, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
- Police check
Programs in Ghana are based in the small coastal town of Senya Beraku, 2 ½ hours drive west of the capital city, Accra. Situated on the Gulf of Guinea in the tropical Atlantic Ocean volunteers here have access to beaches, waterfalls, forest walks and historic forts and castles.
Ghana is Africa at its best! Friendly and welcoming people, easy transport options and natural and historic attractions make this destination a pleasure to spend time in. Volunteers in Senya Beraku have the chance to soak up the rich culture and and hospitality of Ghana!
Among the highlights of Accra are the National Museum, with its display of exhibits that reflect the heritage of Ghana, the National Theater, the Center of National Culture, Independence Square and the fishing port at James Town. The beaches of the Atlantic coast are popular with visitors and Ghanaians alike. This is a truly wonderful place to experience the real Africa!
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round and programs start every SUNDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
Spaces on this project are limited and therefore subject to availability. Early booking is recommended.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Upon your arrival in Ghana you will collected at the airport (Kotoka Int. Airport) by a representative of the local team and taken to your host family accommodation. Here you will be welcomed and settled into your new surroundings.
Volunteers will have a full arrival orientation given by a member of the local team the next day after arrival.
They will fill you in on local and regional customs, traveling, rules and recommendations, and of course, what to expect from your volunteering experience. This is a great opportunity to get to know your hosts, meet your fellow volunteers, and ask any last questions you may have. You will then be taken to your projects site where you will be introduced to the onsite project team and settled into your project work. Easy!
- Project Arrival Day: SUNDAY
- Project Departure Day: SATURDAY
- Arrival/Departure Airport: Kotoka International Airport, Accra, Ghana (CODE: ACC)
Accommodation & Meals
Volunteers on this program are accommodated within a modest 3-bedroom volunteer house which is located in a safe and convenient area of Senya-Beraku - a two-hour drive south from Ghana’s bustling capital, Accra. Volunteers are provided with a basic but comfortable shared bedroom and shared bathroom, separated by gender, and will have the opportunity to meet and socialize with other like-minded people from around the world. Linen is provided for volunteers but WiFi is not currently available at the house (there is an internet cafe close by but most volunteers simply purchase a local sim card for their smart phone in order to access the internet). As with most parts of Africa, laundry facilities are basic (hand-washing) but this can be done for guests by the onsite cleaner, for a small fee.
Volunteers are provided with breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Volunteer House daily. All meals are prepared by an in-house cook (house mama) and for those volunteers who wish to learn how to prepare some wonderful Ghanaian dishes, they are always welcome to join her in the kitchen or even in going to the market together to purchase food for the meals.
It is important to remember that the living conditions in Ghana are very different from home. Most homes have running water, but hot running water is still uncommon in some areas and bathing is performed using a bucket of water that has been heated (when necessary) from the kitchen kettle. There is a nearby beach resort where volunteers can utilize clean and modern western-style showers for a small fee, and it is common for volunteers to make this short trip once or twice a week. Although the accommodation is basic, this is part of the challenge and experience of volunteering in a developing country. With a little patience, and a flexible attitude, you will quickly get used to your new surroundings.
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
All international arriving flight passengers will need to adhere to the following:
- Accra Kotoka International Airport reopened for regular international passenger travel on Tuesday, September 1, 2020. Ghana’s land and sea borders remain closed until further notice.
- Individuals arriving in Ghana by air must present a negative COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test conducted by an accredited laboratory in the country of origin not more than 72 hours prior to departure.
- Upon arrival, each traveler age five and over must undergo a COVID-19 test conducted at the airport.
- The test carries a $150 fee per person. Each traveler must pay the fee online at https://myfrontierhealthcare.com/ and present proof of payment to the airline prior to boarding.
- Test results will usually be available within 30 minutes. Travelers who test negative for COVID-19 will be allowed to enter Ghana with no quarantine requirement. Those who test positive for COVID-19 will complete arrival procedures with the help of airport health officials before transfer to Ga East Municipal Hospital for clinical assessment and management.
- Individuals who depart Ghana and return within one week will not need to present a negative PCR COVID-19 test. However, they will still be subject to testing upon arrival at the airport.
- Travelers exiting Ghana will undergo temperature screening prior to departure and will be required to comply with the COVID-19 testing requirements of their destination.
- You will be required to wear a face mask while in Ghana.
- Please see the below website for more information: https://gh.usembassy.gov/ghana-covid-19-information/