The Childcare Program
At the heart of this program is the belief that every child has a right to an education and in supporting the rights of indigenous youth to an education that is culturally appropriate. This program was created with the goal of providing impoverished children in Oaxaca with a solid education and supply additional resources to support them, such as nutritious meals, medical care and extra-curricular activities. By providing an education and supporting their well-being, these vulnerable children will have a solid foundation in which to break the poverty cycle and lead enriched lives.
The project center serves as a place of extracurricular learning for the children, as well as a site of inter-cultural exchange for the many international students and volunteers who contribute. This is a diverse program that will allow volunteers from any background to participate. While qualified teachers are sought after, especially for longer term placements, any volunteer contribution is both valued and beneficial, with all volunteers contributing in their own unique way.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide teaching support to children in Oaxaca City – in Mexico’s most ethnically diverse region
- Improve the future prospects of some of Mexico’s most impoverished children, and help them to break the poverty cycle,
- Enable inter-cultural exchange which benefits both residents and international volunteers alike.
- Keep children in education for longer by supporting their needs
How You Can Help
Volunteers play an integral role in achieving the goals of this project. With 600 children participating in the program, volunteers are a much-needed labor force to work directly with children and help with the additional aspects of support. Providing nutritious meals, medical care, public school tuition and extracurricular academic support to such a large number of needy children is a massive undertaking, requiring a motivated volunteer force. Volunteers on this program make a real difference to the lives of impoverished children, helping them to achieve a higher education and supporting their well-being needs.
Volunteers will contribute in a number of ways and can expect to undertake the following tasks:
- Work with children in art classes, the computer lab and on other projects and extracurricular activities
- Work on research, proposals and fundraising projects to assist the program
- Network with local residents and local project staff
- Assist with jobs in the library and kitchen
- Translate letters (for Spanish speakers)
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over who wish to assist in the ongoing support and development of marginalized and at-risk children of Mexico. This highly interactive and varied project does not require participants to have a background in the field of childcare, as there are many ways you can assist. However, volunteers with suitable education, qualifications or experience are highly sought after. Regardless, a volunteer’s individual role can often be tailored to suit their particular skills and interests. Volunteers on this project will need an understanding of Spanish in order to communicate effectively. Importantly, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
- Police check
Oaxaca is a colorful, clean and vibrant city in the southern mountain area of Mexico, with a surprising amount of tourists, ex-pats, and volunteers on the streets. The city is big enough to have something for everyone, yet small enough to manage on foot. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants to choose from, including many with rooftop garden-bars to enjoy the picturesque beauty of the area.
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round and programs start every SUNDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
Spaces on this project are limited and therefore subject to availability. Early booking is recommended.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Volunteers are collected on arrival by a member of their host family and taken to the accommodation to settle in.
On Monday morning the local team provide an orientation covering Oaxaca in general, customs, rules and recommendations and, of course, information about the project and your role. This is a great opportunity to ask any last minute questions. You will then be taken to your project site where you will be introduced to the onsite project team and settle into your project work. Easy!
- Project Arrival Day: SUNDAY
- Project Departure Day: SATURDAY
- Arrival/Departure Airport: Xoxocotlan International Airport, Oaxaca City, Oaxaca, Mexico (Code: OAX)
For those who require extra nights, an additional fee of USD20 per night must be paid directly to your program coordinator on arrival in Mexico. Additional accommodation subject to availability.
Accommodation & Meals
Volunteers on this program will be accommodated with a local host family, and will gain the opportunity to become immersed in the local culture and custom, improving their knowledge of the people, culture and language. Mexican families are renowned for their hospitality and love to learn more about different cultures. Living with a local family truly is the best way to throw oneself into the local culture and to meet people who will often become lifelong friends!
All families have been fully vetted by our local team and have extensive experience hosting international volunteers. Depending on the time of year it may be necessary to share a room with other volunteers, but private rooms are often available upon request (additional fees may apply). Volunteers will be provided access to a shared bathroom. Host families are often happy to wash clothes for volunteers for a small fee to cover the additional electricity, though mostly volunteers will use a local laundromat. Wifi is available at most host family houses, however we ask volunteers to remember access to this service is a privilege and may be limited at times. A multitude of internet cafes are available throughout Oaxaca.
Host families will provide breakfast during the working week. Lunch is not included but can be purchased at a nearby café while at your project site. Volunteers are responsible for their own evening meals and all food during weekends – a wonderful opportunity to check out the huge variety of local and international restaurants, cafés and bistros in Oaxaca!
Prefer to arrange your own accommodation?
No problem! The program fee is adjusted to:
1 week - US$99
2 weeks - US$144
4 weeks - US$253
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
Want to learn Spanish?
Why not use this opportunity to improve your knowledge of Spanish and really get immersed in the local culture during your volunteering placement? We can offer both group and private classes and either done in conjunction with or before volunteering - they are even discounted for volunteers! Let us know if you are interested.
- Two hours of Spanish everyday from Monday to Friday.
- 1:00 - 3:00pm, 3:00 - 5:00pm, 4:00 - 6:00pm & 5:00 - 7:00pm.
- $126 per week
- Three hours of classes, five days a week divided into two sessions with a different teacher for each session.
- The first session includes a review of specific grammar points through dynamic and interactive learning.
- In the second session, the students practice what they have learned through conversation and practical exercises.
- There is a fifteen minute break between the two sessions.
- Classes run 9:00am - 12:00pm or 4:00 - 7:00pm.
- Group lessons $189 per week
- Private lessons $270 per week
- Four hours of classes, five days a week, divided evenly between two teachers.
- This program allows students to dedicate more time to developing conversational skills.
- There is also a fifteen minute break.
- Classes run 9:00am - 1:00pm or 3:00 - 7:00pm.
- Group lessons $280 per week
- Private lessons $300 per week
SUPER INTENSIVE LESSONS
- Six hours of classes, five days a week, divided into three sessions, each with a different teacher.
- There is a fifteen minute break between the first two sessions.
- The last session is held after la comida (3:00 - 5:00pm)
- This program is recommended for students who do not have a lot of time to spend in Oaxaca and really want to improve their language skills quickly.
- Group lessons $378 per week
- Private lessons $540 per week
SUPER INTENSIVE WORKSHOPS
- Four hours of regular Spanish classes, five days a week, divided into two sessions, each with a different teacher.
- Plus two more hours of workshops in the afternoon 4:00 - 6:00pm.
- Group lessons $513 per week
- Private lessons $675 per week
Monday & Friday: weaving
Tuesday & Thursday: wooden carving animals
SPECIALIZED SPANISH COURSES
- Spanish for Children Program
- Medical Spanish Program
- Learn Spanish and Learn How to Dance Salsa in a Professional Way!
- Traditional Medicine Program
- Law and Business Spanish Program
- Social Service Program
- Zapotec Course