The Childcare Program
Costa Rica has reopened to international arrivals. See the additional info. section for COVID-19 requirements.
The mission of this program is to contribute to the children of Costa Rica, to promote education and to ensure their proper physical, emotional and social development. The early childhood centres on this program provide care and education for local children, aged 3 to 6 years and provide a place where the children of working-class parents can be educated, make friends and feel comfortable. Some of the children also come from single parent families who would struggle without the help and assistance provided by these daycare facilities. The children attending these projects require a lot of care, attention and most importantly, companionship.
Volunteers spend their time caring for the children, helping with their schoolwork, playing games and arranging fun activities during leisure time, like sports or art. Attention and companionship is what the children in these projects need the most, and the attendance of international volunteers is always a highlight for them.
Goals of this Project:
- Assist in the provision of childcare to vulnerable children in Playa Pita
- Improve the future prospects of Costa Rican children
- Allow impoverished families to place their children in childcare programs in order that they may earn a much needed income
- Enable inter-cultural exchange which benefits local staff, children and international volunteers alike.
How You Can Help
Volunteers play an essential role in helping families in Costa Rica through the provision of adequate childcare. Participants will spend their time assisting with all aspects of care for the children. This will include assisting local staff with preparing meals and personal hygiene duties, planning and running educational activities and engaging the children in informative play. Helping the children learn English gives them a good start in this important language skill which opens up vocational pathways later in life.
Spanish is not compulsory for this program but the basics will be helpful.
Volunteers can expect to be involved in the following duties:
- Assisting local staff with daily duties at the Centre such as meals, cleaning and record keeping.
- Attending to and interacting with the children
- Creating activities and entertaining the children with games and songs
- Teaching basic English, hygiene and moral values
- Sharing cross-culture experiences with other volunteers and local staff for a mutually beneficial exchange.
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years (17 with parental consent) and over who wish to assist in the ongoing support and development of marginalized and at-risk children of Costa Rica. This highly interactive and varied project does not require participants to have a background in the field of childcare, as there are many ways you can assist. However, volunteers with suitable education, qualifications or experience are highly sought after. Regardless, a volunteer’s individual role can often be tailored to suit their particular skills and interests.
Importantly, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
- Police check
This hugely beneficial program is dedicated to helping the children of Playa Pita, a small village beside a beautiful beach on Costa Rica’s south Pacific coast.
Playa Pita (or Pita Beach) is within easy reach of both the international airport in San Jose and popular Manuel Antonio Park and other attractions on Costa Rica's Pacific coastline. Quepos, Jaco and Herradura beaches are all an easy bus ride away.
This is a truly wonderful place to volunteer and give back to the local community!
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round and programs start every SATURDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 8 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Upon your arrival in San Jose you will be collected at the airport and taken to host family accommodation in Santa Barbara de Heredia, near the airport, where you will stay Saturday night. Time permitting a brief welcome orientation will be provided to help you settle in.
On Sunday the local team will arrange your transfer to Playa Pita by public bus. A representative from the local project team will meet you on arrival and take you to the accommodations to settle in.
On Monday morning, you will be taken to your project site and introduced to the project leader who will provide specific information about your role.
- Program Arrival Day: SATURDAY
- Program Departure Day: SATURDAY
- Arrival Airport: Juan Santamaria International Airport, San Jose, Costa Rica (Code: SJO)
Accommodation & Meals
Arranging your own accommodation?
No problem! The program fee is adjusted to $165 for the 1st week + $30 for each additional week.
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
Costa Rica entry requirements:
- All visitors must complete an Online Health Pass (pasa de Salud) 48 hours prior to travel to Costa Rica.
- Vaccinated arrivals, fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson can enter the country without mandatory travel insurance. The last dose of the vaccine must have been applied at least 14 days before arrival in Costa Rica and vaccination proof must be provided on your health pass.
- All arrivals who do not meet the vaccination requirement must provide proof of travel insurance and include the details on their Health Pass.
International Insurers are accepted provided they can provide a certificate in English or Spanish stating:
1. Name of the person traveling.
2. Validity of the policy for the duration of stay
3. Minimum coverage of $50,000 for COVID related medical expenses
4. Minimum coverage of $2,000 for lodging expenses for quarantine or trip interruption.
Costa Rican policies: The following providers are accepted and the medical coverage minimum is reduced to $20,000:
- INS: https://www.grupoins.com/seguros-para-viajero/seguro-viajero-ingreso-costa-rica/
- Sagicor: https://tiendasagicor.com/en/
- BlueCross BlueShield: https://www.bluecrossblueshieldcr.com/rod
- Please check with your airline as they may require you to have a negative COVID-19 test result.