Environmental Conservation Philadelphia
This essential US volunteer program, based in the historic city of Philadelphia, aims to repair existing environmental damage and imbed sustainable practices into daily life.
Please see the 'Additional Info.' section for procedures in place during the pandemic.
It is no secret that past practices have damaged our environment and the USA is not immune to the ever increasing effects of climate change felt around the world. With rising sea levels, steadily climbing temperatures and the prevalence of extreme climate events it is increasingly evident that our future depends on responding and adapting to these changes. Organizations dedicated to environmental sustainability need volunteers more than ever!
Volunteers with a passion for sustainability and the natural environment will work alongside like-minded individuals to help where it’s needed most, and will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to continue this sustainability into day to day life.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide support to established sustainability projects
- Encourage green spaces and growth in urban areas
- Promote greater awareness of environmental needs throughout our cities
- Enable positive exchange between volunteers and communities that cross cultural, religious and socio-economic barriers
How You Can Help
Environmental volunteer projects in the USA not only have an immense impact on the community, but also provide great educational and learning opportunities for the volunteers themselves. Providing a much-needed labor force, volunteers will work directly on both established environmental and sustainability projects and in developing new initiatives. We need volunteers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty!
This program partners with various environmental organizations and volunteers will be paired with projects that demonstrate the most need and best suit their skill-set and preference. This ensures that the work undertaken is meaningful and beneficial to both our volunteers and the local communities served.
Volunteer work varies depending on the projects being undertaken at the time of placement and may include:
- Maintaining urban gardens and farms
- Conservation and disaster prevention projects
- Replanting initiatives
- Assisting to beautify and maintain parks and walking trails
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over (17 with parental consent) who wish to give their time and energy to assist with environmental sustainability. This hands-on project is best suited to those who are either pursuing a career in conservation or environmental studies or who simply wish to explore an interest in this field. However, the project is open to all and does not require participants to have specific education, qualifications or experience, as you will be shown everything you need to know by your local project leader. Importantly though, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
Philadelphia honours its history and welcomes the future with open arms.
In 2015 Philadelphia, fondly known as 'Philly', was declared a Unesco World Heritage City in recognition of its historical significance; bearing witness over the years to many of the significant events that have moulded the United States of today. Philly maintains a pride in its roots and there is still evidence of the small-town charm of yesteryear within the charismatic modern metropolis it has become.
Visitors delight in the combination of old vs new evident to even the most casual observer through the city's art, architecture and cuisine. From Liberty Bell and the redbrick terraced houses of Society Hill to the ingenuity of the Mural Art Program which moves street art to a new level; from the homely comfort of an Amish breakfast to Asian Fusion for dinner. Take a walk through the centuries in this fascinating city.
What a fantastic opportunity to delve into the history of this great nation while working for a better future for all.
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round and programs start every SUNDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 8 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Volunteers are met on arrival into Philadelphia by our local representative and taken to the hostel to settle in. A welcome dinner for new and current volunteers is a great opportunity to get to know each other!
Monday is Orientation Day, designed to help volunteers feel supported and comfortable in their new environment. The orientation will cover negotiating the public transport system and will include a visit to the project site and brief introduction by the community partner.
- Arrival Day: SUNDAY 8AM - 8PM
- Departure Day: SATURDAY
- Arrival Airport: Philadelphia International Airport (code PHL)
Accommodation & Meals
Volunteers on this project are accommodated in a popular hostel in downtown Philly. Within easy walking distance of Market Street, Delaware River and various sights, amenities, restaurants and cafes the hostel is a great base from which to explore the city.
Volunteers stay in dormitory rooms split by gender. Rooms are shared by 2 - 3 volunteers and each room has its own bathroom. Towels and linen are provided so volunteers need only bring their personal toiletries.
The hostel is well equipped with everything you need for a great stay including lockers (with power outlets), free WiFi & computers, a large modern kitchen and comfortable communal areas for relaxing after a busy day. Laundry facilities are also available at the hostel for a small fee.
Volunteers are provided with a traditional Philly breakfast every day (included in the program fee). Lunch and dinner can be prepared in the hostel kitchen - or provide a chance to experience the amazing culture and cuisine on offer nearby. Simply get a few of your fellow hostel mates together and head out to one of the many local restaurants, bars or cafes and enjoy all the local and international delicacies on offer! Easy!
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
COVID-19 Safety Measures in the USA:
We will be engaging in the following steps to ensure both volunteer and partner safety.
- Ensure soap and hand gel are available at all placements (get to partners, housing, maybe supply)
- If necessary, provide additional masks and gloves at the placements if a volunteer is unable to bring their own
- Ensure partners are taking the necessary steps as listed below to ensure partner and volunteer safety
- Ensure the coordinator will wear a mask and engage in other preventative measures such as social distancing when interacting with the volunteers
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information to our volunteers regarding safe volunteering practices
Housing Partners Will:
- Post informational signage throughout the property informing guests of best practices and how to reduce the spread of the virus
- Develop intensified cleaning practices for all areas of the accommodation
- Including but not limited to: regularly wiping down all commonly touched surfaces such as door handles, faucet handles and shower handles, increased bathroom sanitization
- Implement social distancing practices
- Such as but not limited to reducing the number of guests assigned to each dorm style/shared room.
- Require staff and guests to wear protective gear in common areas
- Follow CDC recommendations if clients or staff show COVID-19 symptoms
Community Partners Will:
- Provide any cleaning supplies/protective gear necessary to complete tasks assigned to the volunteers
- Depending upon their project site will engage in whatever routine sanitation practices are applicable
- Require all coordinators/employees to engage in social distancing practices, wear masks, and routinely wash hands
Orientation Activity Partners Will:
- Encourage and enforce social distancing
- Limit their capacity especially if the activity is located within a building
- Ensure their staff wears protective gear
Volunteers Will Be Asked To:
- Obtain a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival and present proof of testing before/upon arrival.
- Bring their own masks and wear them consistently when interacting with others
- Consistently wash their hands or use hand sanitizer
- Notify us if they display any of the symptoms of COVID-19
- Not share items with other volunteers unless properly sanitized
- Follow all safe and outlined volunteer practices
- Follow necessary public transportation safety practices as outlined by the city’s transit authority