Environmental Conservation Denver
Join us on this significant program in Denver, a city surrounded by such outstanding natural beauty you could be fooled into thinking all was well with the environment.
Please see the 'Additional Info.' section for procedures in place during the pandemic.
The adverse effects of climate change are being felt around the world - and the USA is no exception. As we face down the grim reality of the damage caused by past actions, it becomes more and more evident just how dependent our future is on responding and adapting to these changes. As a result of this need organizations dedicated to promoting and creating environmental sustainability initiatives need volunteers more than ever!
This program is perfect for volunteers dedicated to supporting our environment, while gaining the skills to continue this sustainability into day to day life. On this program volunteers work alongside like-minded individuals with a passion for sustainability and the desire to help where it’s needed most.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide support to established sustainability projects
- Encourage green spaces and growth in urban areas
- Promote greater awareness of environmental needs throughout our cities
- Enable positive exchange between volunteers and communities that cross cultural, religious and socio-economic barriers
How You Can Help
Environmental sustainability projects not only have an immense impact on the community, but also provide great educational and learning opportunities for the volunteers themselves. Providing a much-needed labor force, volunteers will work directly on both established environmental and sustainability projects and in developing new initiatives. We need volunteers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty!
This program partners with various environmental organizations and volunteers will be paired with projects that demonstrate the most need and best suit their skill-set and preference. This ensures that the work undertaken is meaningful and beneficial to both our volunteers and the local communities served.
Volunteer work varies depending on the projects being undertaken at the time of placement and may include:
- Maintaining urban gardens and farms
- Conservation and disaster prevention projects
- Replanting initiatives
- Assisting to beautify and maintain parks and walking trails
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over (17 with parental consent) who wish to give their time and energy to assist with environmental sustainability. This hands-on project is best suited to those who are either pursuing a career in conservation or environmental studies or who simply wish to explore an interest in this field. However, the project is open to all and does not require participants to have specific education, qualifications or experience, as you will be shown everything you need to know by your local project leader. Importantly though, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
Denver is sublime. With the soaring Rocky Mountains as backdrop this city has got the outdoors wrapped up in snow-covered glory. Top that with an established restaurant and bar scene and plenty of art and culture to enjoy and you have yourself a location that will not disappoint, no matter your interests.
The city is webbed with cycling and walking paths strung between parks so it's super easy to explore and each neighbourhood showcases its own talents such as Lower Downtown (LoDo) for bars, River North (RiNo) for street art and Highlands and Lower Highlands (LoHi) for restaurants and shopping.
What better place to base yourself whilst volunteering!
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round and programs start every SUNDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
Spaces on this project are limited and therefore subject to availability. Early booking is recommended.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Volunteers are met on arrival into Denver by our local representative and taken to the hostel to settle in. A welcome dinner for new and current volunteers is a great opportunity to get to know each other!
Monday is Orientation Day, designed to help volunteers feel supported and comfortable in their new environment. The orientation will cover negotiating the public transport system and will include a visit to the project site and brief introduction by the community partner.
- Arrival Day: SUNDAY 8AM - 8PM
- Departure Day: SATURDAY
- Arrival Airport: Denver International Airport (code DEN)
Accommodation & Meals
Volunteers on our programs in Denver are lucky enough to stay in an award winning hostel, based in a converted historic mansion and conveniently located in Capital Hill.
Rooms are shared with each bunk having its own privacy curtain, power outlets, lights and storage. Bathrooms are modern, laundry and kitchen facilities provided, free Wi-fi and fantastic communal areas to relax with fellow guests. There's even a hot-tub! Luxe. Linens are provided so volunteers need only bring personal items.
Volunteers are provided with breakfast daily (included in the program fee) while lunch and dinner can be prepared in the communal kitchen - or get some of your fellow volunteers together and head out to explore the local restaurants, bars and cafes. Easy!
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
COVID-19 Safety Measures in the USA:
We will be engaging in the following steps to ensure both volunteer and partner safety.
- Ensure soap and hand gel are available at all placements (get to partners, housing, maybe supply)
- If necessary, provide additional masks and gloves at the placements if a volunteer is unable to bring their own
- Ensure partners are taking the necessary steps as listed below to ensure partner and volunteer safety
- Ensure the coordinator will wear a mask and engage in other preventative measures such as social distancing when interacting with the volunteers
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information to our volunteers regarding safe volunteering practices
Housing Partners Will:
- Post informational signage throughout the property informing guests of best practices and how to reduce the spread of the virus
- Develop intensified cleaning practices for all areas of the accommodation
- Including but not limited to: regularly wiping down all commonly touched surfaces such as door handles, faucet handles and shower handles, increased bathroom sanitization
- Implement social distancing practices
- Such as but not limited to reducing the number of guests assigned to each dorm style/shared room.
- Require staff and guests to wear protective gear in common areas
- Follow CDC recommendations if clients or staff show COVID-19 symptoms
Community Partners Will:
- Provide any cleaning supplies/protective gear necessary to complete tasks assigned to the volunteers
- Depending upon their project site will engage in whatever routine sanitation practices are applicable
- Require all coordinators/employees to engage in social distancing practices, wear masks, and routinely wash hands
Orientation Activity Partners Will:
- Encourage and enforce social distancing
- Limit their capacity especially if the activity is located within a building
- Ensure their staff wears protective gear
Volunteers Will Be Asked To:
- Obtain a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival and present proof of testing before/upon arrival.
- Bring their own masks and wear them consistently when interacting with others
- Consistently wash their hands or use hand sanitizer
- Notify us if they display any of the symptoms of COVID-19
- Not share items with other volunteers unless properly sanitized
- Follow all safe and outlined volunteer practices
- Follow necessary public transportation safety practices as outlined by the city’s transit authority