Educational Support Philadelphia
Volunteer in the USA with Love Volunteers to support disadvantaged youth in the historic city of Philadelphia. Working with an experienced local partner, Love Volunteers participants will be helping where it is needed most!
Please see the 'Additional Info.' section for procedures in place during the pandemic.
With the inspirational mission of supporting those children coming from disadvantaged backgrounds, this program aims to provide Philadephia's young people with the resources they need to thrive! While we all know that protecting our future generation is crucial, unfortunately many young people in the US don't have access to the basic resources and support they need. This may be due to a lack of positive spaces, schools lacking funding or a shortage of after-school opportunities.
Addressing these issues is what this program is about: matching volunteers with worthwhile projects that need their help the most.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide support to schools, educational facilities and after-school programs
- Improve the prospects of US children trapped in the poverty cycle
- Encourage young people to continue in education
- Enable exchange between volunteers and communities that cross cultural, religious and socio-economic barriers
How You Can Help
Volunteers in the US provide much-needed labor on essential projects working to improve access to educational resources and provide safe spaces for disadvantaged youth. Participants on this program should have a 'can-do' attitude and a passion for improving the life and prospects of American children and teens.
As the program works with a variety of community organizations, volunteers will be paired with the project that has the greatest need and which most closely aligns with their skill-sets. This ensures that the work our volunteers undertake is both meaningful and beneficial to the communities they serve and worthwhile and rewarding for the volunteer themselves.
Volunteer work will vary depending on the projects being undertaken at the time of placement and may be within public schools, community centers, summer camps, playgrounds or after-school programs. Volunteers can expect to be involved in activities such as:
- Assisting with educational and after-school programming
- Helping to organize, manage and develop resources
- Beautifying and maintaining safe spaces and public schools
- Tutoring children and teens
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over (17 with parental consent) who wish to help create a brighter future for children through the power of mentorship and education. This project best suits those with experience and/or qualifications in the field of youth development and education but volunteers who simply wish to explore an interest in this field are also welcomed as there are many ways you can assist.
Importantly, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
- Police check
Philadelphia honours its history and welcomes the future with open arms.
In 2015 Philadelphia, fondly known as 'Philly', was declared a Unesco World Heritage City in recognition of its historical significance; bearing witness over the years to many of the significant events that have moulded the United States of today. Philly maintains a pride in its roots and there is still evidence of the small-town charm of yesteryear within the charismatic modern metropolis it has become.
Visitors delight in the combination of old vs new evident to even the most casual observer through the city's art, architecture and cuisine. From Liberty Bell and the redbrick terraced houses of Society Hill to the ingenuity of the Mural Art Program which moves street art to a new level; from the homely comfort of an Amish breakfast to Asian Fusion for dinner. Take a walk through the centuries in this fascinating city.
What a fantastic opportunity to delve into the history of this great nation while working for a better future for all.
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round and programs start every SUNDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
Spaces on this project are limited and therefore subject to availability. Early booking is recommended.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Volunteers are met on arrival into Philadelphia by our local representative and taken to the hostel to settle in. A welcome dinner for new and current volunteers is a great opportunity to get to know each other!
Monday is Orientation Day, designed to help volunteers feel supported and comfortable in their new environment. The orientation will cover negotiating the public transport system and will include a visit to the project site and brief introduction by the community partner.
- Arrival Day: SUNDAY 8AM - 8PM
- Departure Day: SATURDAY
- Arrival Airport: Philadelphia International Airport (code PHL)
Accommodation & Meals
Volunteers on this project are accommodated in a popular hostel in downtown Philly. Within easy walking distance of Market Street, Delaware River and various sights, amenities, restaurants and cafes the hostel is a great base from which to explore the city.
Volunteers stay in dormitory rooms split by gender. Rooms are shared by 2 - 3 volunteers and each room has its own bathroom. Towels and linen are provided so volunteers need only bring their personal toiletries.
The hostel is well equipped with everything you need for a great stay including lockers (with power outlets), free WiFi & computers, a large modern kitchen and comfortable communal areas for relaxing after a busy day. Laundry facilities are also available at the hostel for a small fee.
Volunteers are provided with a traditional Philly breakfast every day (included in the program fee). Lunch and dinner can be prepared in the hostel kitchen - or provide a chance to experience the amazing culture and cuisine on offer nearby. Simply get a few of your fellow hostel mates together and head out to one of the many local restaurants, bars or cafes and enjoy all the local and international delicacies on offer! Easy!
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
Changes to the Education Support program in response to COVID-19:
Please note that, due to the current COVID environment and government regulations, the Educational Support project as been amended for the time being. Volunteers are not able to interact directly with children as a preventative health measure and schools/after-school programming are not currently operating as normal. We will do our best to facilitate a youth support related project within the community but it is important to understand that the project will be experiencing disruptions and the focus may need to change to one such as Community Development. It's important to keep in mind that the most important thing is to support these
communities (especially those most heavily affected) based on what they need!
COVID-19 Safety Measures in the USA:
We will be engaging in the following steps to ensure both volunteer and partner safety:
- Ensure soap and hand gel are available at all placements (get to partners, housing, maybe supply)
- If necessary, provide additional masks and gloves at the placements if a volunteer is unable to bring their own
- Ensure partners are taking the necessary steps as listed below to ensure partner and volunteer safety
- Ensure the coordinator will wear a mask and engage in other preventative measures such as social distancing when interacting with the volunteers
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information to our volunteers regarding safe volunteering practices
Housing Partners Will:
- Post informational signage throughout the property informing guests of best practices and how to reduce the spread of the virus
- Develop intensified cleaning practices for all areas of the accommodation
- Including but not limited to: regularly wiping down all commonly touched surfaces such as door handles, faucet handles and shower handles, increased bathroom sanitization
- Implement social distancing practices
- Such as but not limited to reducing the number of guests assigned to each dorm style/shared room.
- Require staff and guests to wear protective gear in common areas
- Follow CDC recommendations if clients or staff show COVID-19 symptoms
Community Partners Will:
- Provide any cleaning supplies/protective gear necessary to complete tasks assigned to the volunteers
- Depending upon their project site will engage in whatever routine sanitation practices are applicable
- Require all coordinators/employees to engage in social distancing practices, wear masks, and routinely wash hands
Orientation Activity Partners Will:
- Encourage and enforce social distancing
- Limit their capacity especially if the activity is located within a building
- Ensure their staff wears protective gear
Volunteers Will Be Asked To:
- Obtain a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival and present proof of testing before/upon arrival.
- Bring their own masks and wear them consistently when interacting with others
- Consistently wash their hands or use hand sanitizer
- Notify us if they display any of the symptoms of COVID-19
- Not share items with other volunteers unless properly sanitized
- Follow all safe and outlined volunteer practices
- Follow necessary public transportation safety practices as outlined by the city’s transit authority