Community Development Seattle
This ambitious US volunteer program focuses on the immediate needs of disempowered communities in Seattle; communities who have been sidelined and neglected.
Please see the 'Additional Info.' section for procedures in place during the pandemic.
While many consider the USA a wealthy nation, with opportunities for all, the reality for a large portion of the populace is a constant struggle against ingrained inequality - in income, housing and access to basic resources. This program aims to redress this imbalance by supporting community organisations working to assist disadvantaged families and those without access to secure housing. Volunteers provide a much needed helping hand in the goal of achieving the ultimate outcome: thriving, vibrant and safe communities with equal opportunities and resources for all residents.
Goals of this project:
- Improving the quality of life for low-income and un-housed communities.
- Supporting organizations in providing easy access to food and basic necessities
- Creating safe, positive spaces for residents who feel empowered in their own communities
- Enabling positive exchange between volunteers and communities that cross cultural, religious and socio-economic barriers
How You Can Help
More than ever volunteers in the US are needed to assist local organizations in their work with vulnerable communities. In this ever changing world the challenges are multiple and often unpredictable. Volunteers on this essential program will gain an insight into the issues faced by these communities and will play a part in combating these challenges and empowering individuals to be active in their community.
Volunteers will be matched with local initiatives based on skill-sets, preferences and the needs existing at the time of placement. The program partners with various organizations running a diverse range of projects and the work undertaken by each volunteer is meaningful and beneficial to the communities served. Placements may be with food banks, homeless shelters, donation warehouses, schools and community centres.
Volunteer work will vary depending on the projects being undertaken and may include:
- Assisting in food distribution, for example serving meals and packing grocery boxes
- Sorting donations of food, clothing or household goods
- Assisting local homeless shelters
- Working with local groups to clean and beautify communal spaces
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over (17 with parental consent) who wish to help create a brighter future for people living in marginalized communities of the USA. While this project is best suited to those interested in the fields of anthropology, social work, social entrepreneurship and/or economics, volunteers who simply wish to be involved in a more ‘varied’ project are also welcomed as there are many ways you can assist and individual projects can often be tailored to suit the particular skills and interests or each participant. Importantly, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
- Police check
Seattle is synonymous with innovation. Never at rest and always seeking the very best, the city provides visitors with a kaleidoscope of experiences. Many entrepreneurs with a view to following in the footsteps of existing Seattle start-ups like Starbucks, Amazon and Nordstrom, ply their wares first in this proudly local community.
Seattle's liberal outlook allows expression - in art, architecture, culture, cuisine, shopping and entertainment. Exploring its diverse suburbs is worth the effort to see inside this unconventional city and better understand its many facets.
Volunteers based here are in for a treat!
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round and programs start every SUNDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
Spaces on this project are limited and therefore subject to availability. Early booking is recommended.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Volunteers are met on arrival into Seattle by our local representative and taken to the hostel to settle in. A welcome dinner for new and current volunteers is a great opportunity to get to know each other!
Monday is Orientation Day, designed to help volunteers feel supported and comfortable in their new environment. The orientation will cover negotiating the public transport system and will include a visit to the project site and brief introduction by the community partner.
- Arrival Day: SUNDAY 8AM - 8PM
- Departure Day: SATURDAY
- Arrival Airport: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (code SEA)
Accommodation & Meals
Volunteers on this project are accommodated in a great hostel just a stone's throw from iconic Pike Place Market and the waterfront.
Rooms are dormitory style with private bathrooms and the hostel offers all amenities required for a comfortable stay including free WiFi, storage lockers, laundry and kitchen facilities and communal areas for relaxing and meeting other guests. Linen is provided and towels are available for a nominal fee so volunteers need take only personal items.
Volunteers are provided with a hearty Seattle breakfast daily at the hostel (included in the program fee). Lunch and dinner can be prepared in the communal kitchen with groceries from the famous Pike Place Market right next door and we recommend taking the opportunity to explore the varied local cuisine at nearby restaurants, bars and cafes as well.
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
COVID-19 Safety Measures in the USA:
We will be engaging in the following steps to ensure both volunteer and partner safety.
- Ensure soap and hand gel are available at all placements (get to partners, housing, maybe supply)
- If necessary, provide additional masks and gloves at the placements if a volunteer is unable to bring their own
- Ensure partners are taking the necessary steps as listed below to ensure partner and volunteer safety
- Ensure the coordinator will wear a mask and engage in other preventative measures such as social distancing when interacting with the volunteers
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information to our volunteers regarding safe volunteering practices
Housing Partners Will:
- Post informational signage throughout the property informing guests of best practices and how to reduce the spread of the virus
- Develop intensified cleaning practices for all areas of the accommodation
- Including but not limited to: regularly wiping down all commonly touched surfaces such as door handles, faucet handles and shower handles, increased bathroom sanitization
- Implement social distancing practices
- Such as but not limited to reducing the number of guests assigned to each dorm style/shared room.
- Require staff and guests to wear protective gear in common areas
- Follow CDC recommendations if clients or staff show COVID-19 symptoms
Community Partners Will:
- Provide any cleaning supplies/protective gear necessary to complete tasks assigned to the volunteers
- Depending upon their project site will engage in whatever routine sanitation practices are applicable
- Require all coordinators/employees to engage in social distancing practices, wear masks, and routinely wash hands
Orientation Activity Partners Will:
- Encourage and enforce social distancing
- Limit their capacity especially if the activity is located within a building
- Ensure their staff wears protective gear
Volunteers Will Be Asked To:
- Obtain a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival and present proof of testing before/upon arrival.
- Bring their own masks and wear them consistently when interacting with others
- Consistently wash their hands or use hand sanitizer
- Notify us if they display any of the symptoms of COVID-19
- Not share items with other volunteers unless properly sanitized
- Follow all safe and outlined volunteer practices
- Follow necessary public transportation safety practices as outlined by the city’s transit authority