Teach English Program
This wonderful teaching project in Costa Rica was created with the goal of helping to improve the English speaking abilities of students in Ciudad Cortés. Costa Rican schools often lack sufficient resources and quality teachers are in short supply resulting in overcrowded classrooms and inadequate student support. International volunteers provide much needed assistance to local teachers and the opportunity for students to practice English conversational skills. Children, teenagers and young adults in the Ciudad Cortés community are eager to learn and enjoy engaging with international volunteers!
English language skills open vocational pathways, particularly in the ever growing tourism sector, and improve higher education prospects.
Placements are tailored to the needs of the community with varied opportunities available in local schools, community centres, tutoring programs and childcare centres.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide free English language classes to students in Ciudad Cortés
- Improve the future prospects of the children of Costa Rica
- Expose non-English speakers to native English speakers in order to improve pronunciation and conversational skills
- Enable inter-cultural exchange which benefits both students and international volunteers alike.
How You Can Help
Volunteers play an integral role in achieving the goals of this project, greatly assisting students to learn the English language. They provide a valid and effective means of English language tuition and allow students to learn directly off native English language speakers – a major benefit for learners of the language.
Placements take place in a range of classroom settings including schools, community centres, tutoring programs, special needs facilities and childcare centres. Participants are matched with a best fit project and may be involved in tutoring to local students, taking small workshops or assisting local teachers.
During school holidays (December, January and July) participants will help with workshops for young adults or in childcare centres for pre-school children.
- Assist local teachers with planned classroom activities
- Help with lesson planning and arranging educational activities
- Converse with students in English to improve fluency
- Improve students English grammar
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over who wish to help create a brighter future for children through the power of education. This project best suits those with experience and/or qualifications in the field of childhood development and education, though volunteers who simply wish to explore an interest in this field are also welcomed as there are many ways you can assist in the classroom. Whist not mandatory, completing a TEFL course prior to joining this project would prove to be highly beneficial. Volunteers on this project will need an understanding of Spanish in order to communicate effectively with staff and students. Importantly, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
- Police check
This wonderful program is based in the town of Ciudad Cortes in the Osa canton, Puntarenas. The domestic airport at Palmar Sur is a short 15min drive away.
Osa is a stunning area of Costa Rica, often overlooked by the masses. Located on the Central Pacific coast and encompassing the Osa Peninsula, this remote location offers an insight into Costa Rica's past. Humpback Whales and dolphins migrate into the waters to calve, mate and rest and the many National parks offer the visitor a varied array of unspoilt beaches, mountains, waterfalls and rainforests as well as evidence of past gold mining operations and the mysterious 'bolas de piedra', ancient stone spheres that continue to confound archeologists.
A gem of a location in which to spend time connecting with Costa Rican communities and enjoying the natural beauty of the region.
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round with arrivals every SUNDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 8 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
Spaces on this project are limited and therefore subject to availability. Early booking is recommended.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Volunteers typically fly into San Jose international airport and then take a short domestic flight to Palmar Sur. Airport pick-up is provided from Palmar Sur and volunteers are transported to the accommodation to settle in.
On Monday a full orientation session is provided to cover all aspects of the local area and placement. This is a great opportunity to meet the program coordinators and other volunteers and ask any last minute questions.
- Program Arrival Day: SUNDAY
- Program Departure Day: SATURDAY
- International Airport: Juan Santamaria International Airport, San Jose (code: SJO)
- Domestic Airport: Palmar Sur, Punarenas Province (code PMZ)
Accommodation & Meals
Volunteers on this program stay in 'Home Base', a welcoming Volunteer House in Ciudad Cortés.
Rooms are dormitory style and sleep up to 4 volunteers, split by gender. ave western style bathrooms with hot showers and bed linen is provided so you need only bring a towel and personal toiletries. This is a perfect home away from home and a wonderful base for your stay in Costa Rica!
Volunteers are provided 2 meals per day (breakfast and lunch) throughout the placement. Dinner is not included but can be arranged with the hosts, prepared yourself or eaten out at one of the local cafes or restaurants where you can try cheap and tasty local food. The meals provided are local cuisine and predominantly vegetarian.
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
- Volunteers on his program are required to have a negative PCR COVID-19 test taken no more than 48 hours prior to starting the placement.
- Visitors traveling to Costa Rica will need to provide proof of a medical insurance policy to cover any COVID-19 related medical treatment or quarantine lodging while in Costa Rica. In the case of international insurance, tourists must request from their insurer a certification issued in English or Spanish, noting: 1) the validity of the policy during the dates of visit to Costa Rica, 2) guarantee of coverage for medicals expenses in cases of COVID-19 related medical treatment in the amount of 50,000 USD and, 3) minimum coverage of 2,000 USD for extended lodging expenses due to COVID-19 related illness. It is also possible to purchase a Costa Rican medical insurance policy through the National Insurance Institute (INS) or Sagicor of Costa Rica, covering the duration of your stay in Costa Rica.
- All visitors must also complete an Online Health Pass (pasa de Salud) 48 hours prior to travel to Costa Rica. The Health Pass can be found at https://salud.go.cr.